Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The American Numismatic Society Collection Moves

It has been reported that the American Numismatic Society's coin collection - one of the largest and most important in the world - has been moved to the vault at its new location. An interesting story about the logistics of the collection's move can be found in the New York Times (G. Collins, "A Treasure Travels, Inconspicuously" NYT, 16 June 2008).

The conclusion of the NYT article reads:
Finally, after the massive doors and gates of the vault slammed shut, Dr. Wartenberg Kagan expressed gratitude to the police and the heroic efforts of her staff, and gave the order for the alarm to be armed. “To say I’m relieved,” she said after the lockdown, “is putting it mildly.”
I was at the ANS' Graduate Seminar in 2004, in the midst of the ANS' last move, and so I can appreciate how hectic and stressful moving the collection was for them, having witnessed it then. I'm glad to hear the collection arrived safely at its new home and wish everyone at the ANS the best at their new location. I look forward to seeing the new place next time I am in New York.

0 comments: